Thursday, January 6, 2011

Marital Disengagement?


I recently noticed a disengagement with my work. I love my career but just feel that there must be more to it than this. I guess I feel under utilized and just need a greater challenge. I’d given myself a time frame to be in my present employ so I will just have to stick it out until then, unless it gets unbearable.

With thoughts like this running through my head, I have to wonder if the same happens in married life. Do you one day look at your spouse and wonder what the Dicken’s you were thinking when you promised a ‘forever’ to that oaf? Do you look longingly at your single friends as they tell you tales of fun nights out and ask God to turn back the hands of time? Do you think of broaching the subject of the taboo ‘break’?

My guess is that it’s a human condition to want change. One must just realize that there are some things you just don't want to change. I remember the countless hours spent as a middle child in a family of 4 wondering why I wasn’t just born a single child, annoyed for the umpteenth time by one sibling or other. The very next day I would be basking in the open love of a child singing praises to said sibling who had since redeemed themselves by doing something that now ranked them next to God in my esteem. I am fickle like that and guess many are too.

So look at your man this weekend as he stretches on the couch having skipped a shower and scratching his unmentionables and remember that it was for better or worse and the better may not be that far off.

1 comment:

  1. "Do you one day look at your spouse and wonder what the Dicken’s you were thinking when you promised a ‘forever’ to that oaf?"....Say what? That killed it.

    ReplyDelete